Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Believe

       Last week's Weight Watchers meeting topic was regarding the ability to "Believe". I had trouble with that belief system at first. For a lot of us the ability to believe lies in proof. So you attend meetings, count your points and Voila! it works every time. But when it does work so well for others and not so well for you, what do you do for your burden of proof? The answer is..you have to nurture it. You have to commit to the program ( or any program). You have to overcome some obstacles. Sometimes you have to re-define your success and release yourself from failure. Your belief cannot be tied to the scale. The scale is feedback but it does not define you.

Bobism ~ The scale is kinda stupid.

     So how to you re-define your success? It's in all of the small changes you make along the way.Those small changes add up and before you know you are "the person formally known as". I like to try as much activity as my body will allow. My definition of allow is a little different than you think. To me allow means that I stop short of being hospitalized. I do have aches and pains everyday. But if I am allowed to wake up the next day I am grateful. And I will take my aches and pains to the gym, my bike or the track and give them some company. This makes me feel empowered. I never thought working out would feel empowering. I used to believe that working out just the minimal amount I need to to lose weight was all I was going to do. Now I actually look forward to it. Sure I procrastinate on a weekend morning when I should be out running but I will get up and out eventually. I do take time to rest if I feel injured or exhausted. The endorphin rush I get when I work out is worth it.
       So let's add this up. I did not always believe but I am nurturing the belief that I will get to my goal weight no matter how long it takes. I did not exercise regularly but now I look forward to working out not only as exercise but as an accomplishment.  So what did I accomplish in the last seven days;

Wednesday- Morning Zumba class + walking
Thursday - AM gym workout;running on treadmill 30 min + weights/ PM Double Zumba class 90min (2nd class was Zumba Tone w/ weights)
Friday - Weights upper & lower body 30 min
Saturday - Run 3 miles on track
Sunday - no formal workout, a lot of walking
Monday - Run 3 miles on track
Tuesday - PM Zumba class

No comments:

Post a Comment