Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Let's Get Serious

              I am always talking about running in my blogs lately (and probably always will). But I will take a step back from that today for a good reason. I need to say that running is not everything. Clutch my pearls, I cannot believe I just typed that statement.  The truth is while running is a fabulously fun, meditative, power driven, strength building exercise, there are other things I should be doing with this body I am trying to whip into shape. In my struggle for running power and glory, I neglected to cross train. I stopped riding my bike (forgive me Sheryl), lifting weights, using DVDs for aerobics and yoga.
               I have written in previous blogs about my visits to Dr. B.'s office on Tuesday. He is my chiropractor and in his office we practice wellness care. I keep him up to date on all my activities, eating habit and challenges. I also ask his advice when I feel injured and about how to treat myself so that I can heal and get back to running. I used to see Dr. B. right before Tuesday Night Happy Hour Weight Watchers meetings with Melanie the great. I used to run in, get therapy and run to my weigh-in. But a funny thing happen after Tuesday Night Happy Hour became Wednesday Night Happy Hour(s). I was no longer in a rush to leave and Dr. B. asked me if I wanted to workout on the Total Gym machine in his office.
               I had no idea what to do with this machine. The extent of my workouts are cardio and free weights. So he started me on a few easier ( okay maybe not so easy) exercises. I started out just doing what I could and then eventually added on more repetitions and other workouts. Today I had a super workout.  I went straight to work on the routine he planned for me. I was able to push myself with few breaks in between and when I was finished I felt like I had a truly good workout. Here is my workout prescribed by Dr. B.;
3 sets of 12- upright rows
3 sets of 12- seated rows
3 sets of 12 - dip position leg lifts
3 sets of 12 - military press
3 sets of 12 - jack knifes
3 sets of 12- overhead triceps curls with 10lb weight
3 sets of 12 - front lifts with 20lb kettle bell
3 sets of 20 - knees together squats with biceps curls using two 7lb weights
3 sets of 20 - knees outward squats with chest presses using two 7lb weights
3 sets of  planks ( aiming for 40 seconds but right now I can only do 12-15 seconds)

I have another WW profit from Wednesday Night Happy Hour meeting named Joey. He has been coming up with some sayings that definitely resonate the spirit of WW meetings.

Joeyism;
Eat right, exercise more and share my experiences VS Eat poorly, not exercise and keep it to myself.

Bobism;
If you're gonna leave, walking outside is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment