Monday, April 23, 2012

Ain't No Mountain High Enough

   This week has been totally crazy. It started out with me stressing over how I will modify my schedule so that I can attend a Melanie WW meeting but it ended up being more. It was my week back from being on vacation. I went from getting lots of sleep, sunshine and exercise to a crazy week of computer issues (my Outlook crashed), lots of scheduling and a weight gain ( 2+lbs). I compounded my confusion by not packing lunch. I had some really good eating days and a couple binging episodes.
    I had some good things too like our monthly WW 5K Social walk around the Village with my homies, seeing the new Steve Harvey movie Think Like A Man, and I ran a 5K with Cindy, Nina and Nina's hubby Joe.
     So let's talk about the bad first. I binged on Wednesday on dough. I had pastries and I even ate a bagel and cream cheese for lunch. The crazy part is after all of that I went home ran 2.4 miles and ate a sensible dinner of baked fish and roasted veggies. I tried something new with the fish by the way. I usually squeeze lime and sprinkle kosher salt, garlic powder and black pepper but I wanted to add a little more without going too far. I drizzled a little honey mustard and a little bit of whole wheat bread crumbs on top of that and baked it for about 20 minutes. The guys loved it.  I had a Greek salad instead of my usual veggie burger and french fries after our social walk. I couldn't finish the salad for some reason I was full ( I heard Little Balloon Guy say enough).

             On Saturday I packed 94% fat free popcorn and two tangerines for Jake's Little League game. Jake's team won 16-1. Yaay. Later my old man and I went to the movies and I packed more fat free popcorn. For the first time in my life I was paying close attention to the movie and  clutch my pearls, did not eat a thing. We paid for that right after. We ordered Chinese food before we left and knew that we had dinner waiting at home but we stopped in the supermarket and got the insane munchies buying Entemanns cake, ice cream and cake. Of course once we nuked and ate our Chinese food, we did not eat those things. It was amazing how easy it was to buy them when hungry.


        On Sunday I got up early to run a 5K with my friends Cindy, Nina and Joe. It's funny that Cindy warned me that there were a lot of hills on this course (she ran it last year). She was not exaggerating because the hills kept coming all the way through this race. I thought I could run up them but half way through the first hill I lost my stamina and realized I would have to walk them. But I did run the rest of the race and I feel really happy with that. But now I realize I need to practice running up hills. I finished the race in 52+ minutes.  Later that night I would eat some cake and ice cream.
         Today I found myself not managing my feelings. I felt a little frustrated and ate chips for lunch. So I am not looking for any miracle weigh-in on Wednesday Night Happy Hour. I realize that I am human and make crazy choices from time to time. I cannot punish myself for giving in to cravings for good sweet, gooey or salty crunchy stuff. The difference between me now and me then is the ability to push the reset button and get back to my program so that the scale can have mercy on me. I have things to do and 5K's to run for goodness sake.  By the way, I treated myself to a non-food victory; a new MP3 clip-on. Finally I am out of the Stone Age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment