Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Finding my way to the 5K

Well I have been naughty. I haven't posted in a few weeks. I became very internal or crazy, whichever works for you. I have also been on a weight loss/gain roller coaster and I need to get off. I'll start with some good news. I lost 31 pounds. The next week I gained 2.2 pounds . Then the following week I losts the 2.2 pounds. But this week I gained 1.4 pounds. I have got to get a grip. Life happens. You get busy at work. You're trying to handle all of these other things and other people and before you know it, you've lost yourself. That is my battle cry "LOSE YOURSELF".  As soon as something else happens, I allow it to take preference. As a better analogy, it's like losing your page when you're reading a book. So mama needs to focus.
    The Weight Watchers 5K Challenge is the one thing I have kept up. Probably to the point of exhaustion. My bones ache so much right now but I am pretty sure that beneath all this pain is a wonderfully healthy body trying to pop out. I have always loved walking so it was not asking much to vamp it up. Originally I would get off my express bus about 20 blocks away from my office and walk to work at least two to three times a week. In preparation for the challenge I decided to expand this walk. First I started by getting off on the stop before which is 31 blocks away. The beautiful weather even cooperated with me. The first time I caught my regular bus at 6:15am. Unfortunately, the amount of time it took for me took walk was much longer and exhausted me. I wound up barely making it to work on time. I was drenched with sweat. We won't even talk about how old my body felt the first time I stood up after that.
        I had to plan a little better.
-wake up at 5am(AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!)
-catch the 5:58am express bus
-jump off this bus 31 blocks away and walk briskly
         This plan worked out just fine for me. I wore comfortable workout clothes and carried my office wear. I arrived at the office with more than 30 minutes left to pickup breakfast, wash up and change and eat breakfast before my day comes crashing down.  I wear my handy dandy pedometer everyday lkie my bra and panties. I clock about 5,000 plus steps on my morning walk. I also walk around as often as possible during the day. Use the stairs for errands, walk to my son's afterschool program and then walk home from there. This easily adds on a couple of thousand foot steps. My aim is to do at least 10,000 steps a day. Some days I feel so burnt out that I will give up at 7 or 8,000 . But if I get home on a good day and have not reached 10,000 steps, I will pop in an exercise dvd while the dinner is cooking. 
      On the weekends, I walk around the track where I live. One lap equals.82 miles. I aim for three to five laps. last weekend I did it two days in a row. I still feel the pain.  Tomorrow is my 5K walk that was arranged by one of the ladies in my Tuesday night meeting. I am so excited. I am also a little nervous. Not because I think I cannot do it. A 5K is 3.1 miles. I can walk that blind folded. I am nervous about what happens when I stop training for the 5K.
      So my friends tune in tomorrow and I will tell you what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment